I am a professional instructional leader with over 26 years of experience in the field of education leadership and management, training and teaching. I have been associated and working with large organisations and educational institutes where I gained many qualities, expertise and skills.
I have project management and leadership experience in the Gulf and KSA, Oman and the UK. Additionally, I led innovative school improvement contracts in bilingual education settings. I have also taught, managed and trained teachers in UAE, Egypt Oman, England and KSA. My roles have included working closely with school principals and leadership teams. I am innovative, success driven with the ability to coach middle leaders and SLT and bring about sustainable and substantial change within the professional learning communities that I establish and sustain which include all stakeholders including parents (PTA) and external agencies.
I am bilingual English and Arabic speaker with great understanding of the UAE educational, social and culture contexts which will enable me to complement and enhance the success of any reputable schools or educational organizations.
As you will see from my attached CV, I have been working in the field of education, coaching, leadership training and leading change for more than 26 years in the UK. USA, Oman. KSA, UAE and Egypt.
Furthermore, I have been working in the UAE for the past nine years where I provided training to government and private schools principals in creating school SIPs, gaining staff input and evaluating the school improvement plans. In my coaching approach to school principals, I include lesson observation techniques, giving corrective feedback, teachers' appraisal, school budget, staff management, raising achievement for all students (RAFA) and policies and procedures. I also enhance student’s centred teaching and empower students’ voice and their full invlovment into the school community as vital stakeholder.
Moreover, I have been associated with GEMS private schools in their continuing professional development (CPD) programs, Tatweer Project in Saudi Arabia, Public Private Partnership (PPP) and Tamkeen (Empowering Educators) Programs with Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) in the UAE.
Finally, I enhance the culture of leadership, teaching and learning by bringing about sustainable and substantial change across the organisational culture of the education institutes that I aspire to work with. I also create and author training modules which I enhance by linking them to the school's contexts which based on training needs analysis (TNA).
To this end, I similarity enhance the quality of education, teaching and learning through various initiatives that involve the school staff in professional learning communities, creating accurate and honest self-evaluation form which is created by the staff and HODs as well as the school development plan. This will enhance the involvement of the middle leaders in leading the change and creating more leaders and peer coaches.
Noteworthy, Throughout the last three years, I have been living and working in Abu Dhabi as a school principal where I moved two schools from (C8) and (B) to rank (B) and (A) in their last Irtiqa’a inspections.
However, I would like to explore a new challenge in with a well-known school where I will be able to bring about sustainable and substantial change that can be seen through.
I am available for an immediate start or by January 2019 with any potential schools in the UAE. I am also willing to relocate for the right post.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
Mob: 00971 0509319648
Work: +971 26502687
SKYPE ID: Ahmed Awad
Specialties: School Improvement, Bilingual Education, Professional Development, ELT – Advanced Skills Coaching, PD Modules Writing, Creating PLCs and Teacher Training.
|Last Resume Update||October 18, 2018|
|Address||ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates|
Director of Professional Development (FREELANCE)
• Report directly to the group of schools Director General and Proprietor in collaboration with senior leaders at individual, school, hub and whole-group level, to raise standards in all Al Nahda schools through activities to promote outstanding performance at school and individual levels.
• Ensuring that there is evidence of good and outstanding practice in schools and where actions need to be taken to secure improvement, these are clearly articulated and followed through.
• Contribute at a strategic level to the delivery of high-quality Group management and development plans and strategic targets and objectives for schools.
• Share my vision of change with the board of directors, parents’ council, and teaching staff and ADEK personnel while visiting the school. (Three Years CPD Plan)
• Conduct Training Needs Analysis for each school to identify training needs and level of support required.
• Triangulate aspects of school development; examining and unpacking the latest inspection recommendations, conduct focus groups with SLT, middle leaders, students and parents, support the baseline observation cycle and compare the inspection standards to the status of the school,
• Prepare a CPD calendar for the departments that includes strategies for classroom management, ways to build team capacity in the classroom, differentiation, and effective collaborative learning strategies.
• Monitor the impact of the CPD on classroom practices (through observations and learning walks), thus setting an appropriate personal development plan for improvement for each teacher and middle leader.
• Prepare a monthly SLT progress meeting to update the senior leadership teams and board of directors on the progress of each school, department teacher and the training activities that are carried out each month.
• Create individual action plan that meets the requirements of each school.
• Conduct baseline lesson observation and interval observation cycles then provide corrective feedback using coaching model to monitor progress made by each teacher.
• Write modules for all the schools that match their training needs.
• Conducts run thoughts to other trainers in my team to familiarise them with the content and the delivery mode of each module.
• Create professional learning communities (PLCs) among the various departments.
• Encourage peer coaching among teachers to enhance their teaching practice through the strategy cycle provision.
• Conduct and facilitate engaging workshops on various big ideas such as student-centred learning, differentiation, AOL, AFL and lesson study.
• Create a robust Learning Support Team (LST) across the two schools which involved the schools vice principals, SENCOs and HODs.
• Establish strong extra curricula activities program to enhance the personal development of our students.
• Provide the leadership and management necessary to administer and supervise all programs, policies and activities of the school to ensure high quality educational experiences and services for the students in a safe and enriching environment in conjunction with the child protection officer, SENCO and EHS officer (Standard 5 of Irtiqa’a framework).
• Establish a strong SLT which included heads of KG. Primary and American sections to enable distributed leadership across the sections
• Establish strong links with parents (PTA) and external agencies (ADEK/KHDA) to provide the community with strong links with the school activities.
• Establish strong extra curricula activities program to enhance the personal development of our students.
• Provide continuous professional development to middle leaders and teachers in various topics and themes, student centred learning. AFL, mastery of skills, peer coaching, learning styles and higher thinking skills.
• Create the lead teacher program for those teachers who are willing to become trainers to establish a training team within the school wide community.
• Attended all ADEK and KHDA workshops regarding SEF, moral education and other workshops and conferences to enhance the school network among the other schools in the region.
• Support all teaching staff in their learning journeys throughout the process of obtaining the recently introduced UAE license; unpacking the six modules, their registration on the MOE system, creating their portfolios and provide exemplar of subject knowledge exams.
School Principal (ADEK Certified Principal)
• Provide the leadership and management necessary to administer and supervise all programs, policies and activities of the school to ensure high quality educational experiences and services for the students in a safe and enriching environment.
• Shared my vision of change with the board of directors, parents’ council, and teaching staff and ADEC personnel while visiting the school.
• Created Professional learning communities, research lessons and peer coaching approaches within the school community to enhance the quality of teaching and learning across the curriculum areas.
• Create a robust Learning Support Team (LST) across the school which involved middle leaders and HODs.
• Established a strong SLT which included heads of KG. Primary and American sections to enable distributed leadership across the sections.
• Established strong links with parents and external agencies to provide the community with strong links with the school activities.
• Established strong extra curricula activities program in order to enhance the personal development of our students.
• Provided continuous professional development to middle leaders and teachers in various topics and themes, student centred learning. AFL, mastery of skills, peer coaching, learning styles and higher thinking skills.
• Created the lead teacher program for those teachers who are willing to become trainers in order to establish a training team within the school wide community.
• Provided leadership training and CPS to the other four school principals within Ben Ham group of schools in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain.
• Contributed to all ADEC workshops regarding SEF, moral education and other workshops and conferences in order to enhance the school network among the other schools in the region.
• Lead and Support the school during the last Irtiq’a inspection and moving the school from rank C8 (very weak) to rank B (Acceptable) in the six Irtiqa’a standards.
• Supported and encouraged the science department in both sections to take part in national and international competitions and shows in order to place the school on the map locally and globally. (THINK Science)
Director of Continuing Professional Development Program _GEMS School Pilot Project
• Conducted Training Needs Analysis for each school to identify training needs and level of support required.
• Build the team capacity and train the team to collaboratively work with each other.
• Prepared a CPD calendar for the departments that includes strategies for classroom management, ways to build team capacity in the classroom, differentiation, and effective collaborative learning strategies.
• Monitor the impact of the PD on classroom practices (through observations and learning walks), thus setting an appropriate personal development plan for improvement for each teacher.
• Prepared a monthly SLT progress meeting to update the senior leadership teams on the progress of each teacher and the training activities.
• Created individual action plan that meets the requirements of each school.
• Conducted baseline lesson observation and interval observation cycles then provide corrective feedback using coaching model in order to monitor progress made by each teacher.
• Write modules for all the schools that match their training needs.
• Conducted run thoughts to other trainers in my team in order to familiarise them with the content and the delivery mode of each module.
• Created professional learning communities (PLCs) among the various departments.
• Encourage peer coaching among teachers in order to enhance their teaching practice through the strategy cycle provision.
• Conducted and facilitate engaging workshops on various big ideas such as student centred learning, differentiation, AOL, AFL and lesson study.
• Encouraged teachers to become reflective practitioners through self evaluation process on their own practice.
• Model and co-teach lesson in order to demonstrate teaching strategies that promote student centred learning.
• Brought about effective Professional Learning Communities (PLC) in government schools.
• Conduct action and inquiry based researches within the schools communities.
• Launched communities of practice among a number of schools.
• Supported the Director of Education in managing the trainers and the training activities.
• Establish effective communication and working relationships with HODs, school leaders and principals to ensure that they buy in the change that I intend to bring about.
• Provided middle leaders training to HODs in order to enhance their leadership skills, lead their faculties and change.
• Encouraged teachers to work collaboratively through the research lesson provision that involve a group of teachers planning, delivering and reflecting on lessons.
• Conducted observation cycles and workshops on various pedagogical themes to faculty members at Taibah University in Madina, Badar and Mahd Campuses to identify areas for development and recommend course of action to Pearson project management team.
Lead Professional Development Specialist
• Led and managed the training team of trainers, identifying training needs aligned with the performance management strategy of the university.
• Conducted group and cluster training sessions and CPD to school leaders, principals, vice principals and middle leaders on training modules which includes Leading Learning in the 21st. Century, Raising achievement for all (RAFA), Professional Development for School development and other topics that are related to differentiation, SIP, and Professional Learning Communities.
• Facilitated CPD to school teachers which is delivered through school based trainers (Train the Trainer).
• Led the Tamkeen (Empowering Leaders) Training program in ten schools
• Provided induction and training on the Tamkeen program to the other training specialists
• Provided liaison with ADEC Tamkeen Program Managers and Project Director.
• Work closely with the school principals and leadership teams within the schools.
• Supported the Project Manager in implementing the strategies of the Tamkeen program within the assigned schools.
• Attended weekly management meetings with the university management team generating reports and statistics on the program development.
• Provided leadership training to school leaders on issues related to school improvement plans, creating professional learning communities (PLCs) and Leading change.
• Utilised coaching as a method of bringing about substantial and sustainable change.
• Trained school principals and leadership teams on how to gain all staff input into their school improvement initiatives
• Brought about effective Professional Learning Communities (PLC) in private and government schools.
• Conducted action and inquiry based researches within the schools communities.
• Launched communities of practice among a number of schools
• Accompanied school leaders to a study tour and conference (Building Expertise- LSI Marazano Centre) in Orlando and Gainesville at the University of Florida.
School Lead Director - Leadership Advisor _Shadow Principal
• Provided training to government schools principals in creating, gaining staff input and evaluating the school improvement plans.
• Worked closely with the local UAE teachers on improving their teaching practice and methods of teaching.
• Worked closely with the school principals and leadership teams in the three schools. I provide support and advice to the school principals including lesson observation techniques (the school budget, staff management and recruitment policies and procedures.
• Managed and led the English departments in three schools including CPTs and local staff.
• Provided PD sessions for new SSAT staff on coaching techniques and in bring the best out of the local staff and gained my Lead practitioner status.
• Supported SSAT leadership team in the running of SSAT first conference in the Middle East which focused on shifting education.
• Managed SSAT team at the school where I am the operator lead director. I review their, special projects and areas of interests, performance management targets, attendance, and their relationship with the local teachers and HODs, the KPIs folders and conduct the school weekly meeting where we review the KPIs Wall chart, the compliance ranking of each KPI and plan the weeks ahead.
• Modelled lessons where best practice is highlighted and teaching and learning are taking place.
• Observed the local teachers in their lessons and provide them with feedback. Using my coaching skills and models such as the GROW model, I provide the local teachers with visual feedback.
• Led the English department in the local schools and advice the HODs on issues related to teaching and learning.
• Created and produced SOWs, resources and lesson plans that reflect the UAE culture and tradition.
• Supported underperforming teachers using coaching models.
• Created provisions for academic interventions for SEN students (support and extension)
• Created opportunities for the students’ voice though a number of initiatives (English weekly broadcast, debating competitions, learning mentors and student leadership. In addition to that I worked with the British council within Connecting Classroom Project where BKB School could be twinned with another school in the UK. The British Council sent an excellent report on the work that I led with the local English teachers.
• Worked in partnership with the English CPTs and Curriculum Directors, sharing resources and good practice across the other schools and the other curriculum areas.
• Observed KPIs throughout the partnership with the local teachers and schools.
• Attended all the INSET and training courses that are provided by SSAT such as ESOL in Mainstream which I completed.
• Enabled UAE government schools to be twinned with another school in the UK which was part of Connecting Classrooms competition which is managed by the British Council in the UAE. BKB is the only school in Al Ain to be awarded this status.
• Attended various international conferences with the Schools network accompanying government schools principals in study tours and school visits to the UK. .
• Supported four schools during the Picari and Tribal inspections.
• Provided training to private schools in Al Ain as PD leader and coach.
• Selected as member of the inspection team that inspected Al Ain English Speaking School to evaluate the quality of teaching and students’ attainment levels.
Vice Principal for staff Development Subject Mentor (PGCE) Student teachers
• Provided Coaching and Mentoring for NQT, PGCE students, SEN and EAL teachers
• Teaching English to both K.S. 3 and K.S. 4 students
• Provided PD sessions for new staff on coaching techniques.
• Supported the school principal in leading the academy.
• Created and managed the training calendars for all staff CPD.
• Taught English and EAL to K.S. 3 and GCSE to K.S. 4 pupils across the school.
• Line managed EAL and SEN Departments.
• Delivered training sessions to NQT, teach first and teachers on teaching bilingual pupils in order to enable them to identify the various teaching strategies required for EAL and SEN pupils across the school.
• Led the CPD team where I conduct periodical internal and external observations across the curriculum areas in the Academy.
• Attended inset days and departmental meetings to monitor PDP for each teacher.
• Provided pastoral care and support for all year 9 pupils.
• Worked with conjunction with the GISA project for empowering student’s voice and self worth through my meeting with year 9 prefects and the school council representatives.
• Mentored and coached PGCE student teachers, NQT, Teach First teachers and teaching assistants.
• Established working relationships with the local universities in order to coordinate their PGCE students training periods at the academy.
Assistant Principal for EAL and SEN (Inclusion)
• Managed the EAL and SEN teachers at the academy
• Taught English for the induction classes and new arrivals to the school
• Taught English to KS 3 and KS 4 pupils across the school
• Conducted training sessions to NQT and teachers of bilingual pupils in order to enable them to identify the various teaching strategies required for EAL pupils
• Delivered inset days and departmental meetings
• Conducted and taught Saturday literacy classes for gifted and talented pupils
• Provided training to in-service teachers on teaching bilingual, SEN and ESL learners.
Academic Affairs Officer
• Placed Saudi officers and civilian into various universities and military academies across the UK
• Organised liaison between the Saudi Defence Attaché' and the various British Commands and defence key personnel
• Accompanied HE the Saudi Ambassador as an official interpreter and spokesperson in most of his visits such as the houses of lords and commons
Master of Education
Read: effective leadership, Educational leadership models, Curricular, ICT in Education, Research Methods.
Post Graduate Diploma in Leadership, Management and Change
Studies Cultural Diversity, Issues related to education, Research Project and dissertation.